Sunday, September 20, 2009

Recipe you'll love to hate

We eat healthy breakfast everyday of the week at our house except Sunday. Sunday is our Waffles, Pancakes, Cinnamon Roll day and it is naughty. Today was no exception. There are a few recipes that I only allow myself to make one time every year or two, they are that good. And bad. Oh so bad. This is one of them. I absolutely love it and hate it at the same time. I have lost a few pounds the past few weeks and without a doubt put every last one back on this morning while eating this. This came from a cookbook given to me when we were first married that was written by our Stake Relief Society Presidency. With out further adieu, I present:

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

3/4 c. sugar
1 stick butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups frozen/fresh blueberries
Mix all ingredients (I mix dry then add to wet) and put in a 9X9X2 pan.

Prepare crumb topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, cut in
Mix until crumbly and sprinkle over cake before baking. Bate at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
I have made these into muffins in the past with great results too, just watch the baking time.

Glaze:
(as if a cake and crumb topping isn't enough, lets add a glaze)
1/2 cup powder sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp - 2 tsp hot water
Mix all ingredients and drizzle over cake while hot.
Enjoy!

14 comments:

Susan said...

No Jane, I don't love to hate this, I hate that I LOVE this!
(and can't stop eating it)

Alyse said...

Wow...this looks amazing!

Courtney Vance said...

I can't wait to try this and then call my sister and tell her how awesome it is. See, you're bringing families together Jane.

R Clan said...

Oh My Heck! I will definitely be trying this one. It looks delicious!

Dan and Melissa said...

MMM...AMAZING! You are one of the best cooks I know!
By the way you haven't gained it back, I saw you today and you still look fantastic!

Katie said...

No way can I make this on Sunday. I am certain I violated the sabbath just by looking at it.

Brandie said...

That looks simply delightful! I guess I will just have to see how bad I hate it myself LOL!

Maryann said...

MMMmMMMMMM... I'm SO excited to make this. Looks like my kind of breakfast!

Jodi said...

Don't you know the rule? If you throw the word "breakfast" in front, it's perfectly acceptable? You know, breakfast burrito, breakfast sandwich, breakfast snickers...

Aimee Friedrich said...

yum!!! might have make that this weekend!

Joni said...

Looks tasty but how do you have time on Sunday morning??????

Dawn said...

We have 1:00 church and I only made breakfast for special occasions!

Did you have to run the leftovers under the faucet - or was it all gone?

I must make this. What's a few extra pounds?

KJ said...

Hey, don't you know everything eaten on sundays is calorie-free? It's true. but I may not be able to wait until Sunday for this one...

Tiffanie said...

YUM!! i found your blog thru Brandie Rudy (she is a good friend of mine) and saw you had posted this FABULOUS recipe! I made it this morning in muffin form for my 8 year olds birthday breakfast...total hit...i changed it up a tiny bit...i used mixed berries (blue berries at my local store were hideously more!) baked them 25 min on 375....totally yummy! thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin