Sunday, December 27, 2009

If at first you don't succeed

I attempted making a baked Cheesecake for the first time.

My first attempt was a failure, a big failure:

When I released the spring form pan, it collapsed and turned into a big pile of cake and crust and I wanted to cry. I was in charge of dessert for Sunday dinner and wanted it to be just right.

Instead of giving up I stayed up all night trying and trying again. Here are my second and third attempts and the recipes following.

Ta Da!


Ta Da Ta Da!

Have you ever made a baked cheesecake? It was pretty easy and so worth it. The Oreo one comes from my friend Jill, she made it one time and I think I made a fool of myself at how much I loved it so she brought me one for my birthday. Best birthday treat I had. She is a fabulous cook. The plain cheesecake which we topped with strawberries is adapted from My Kitchen Cafe which she adapted from Tyler Florence. I changed up the crust and was glad I did. I added brown sugar instead of white and doubled it and then added 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.! I absolutely adored this one. My sister is in town and she said it was one of her top three favorite desserts ever. The Oreo cheesecake is so rich and chocolaty and the other has a hint of lemon and is more of a refreshing taste and it also has twice as much crust as the Oreo one. Both delish.


P.S. If you make a baked cheesecake -spray the spring form pan well with cooking spray and let it refrigerate OVERNIGHT!!! I wouldn't release the spring after 30 minutes like the recipe says. I would suggest keeping it all tight in the pan until it has been refrigerated long enough to set and firm up. The next morning I ran a sharp knife around the pan and the cake came out nicely. I learned the hard way and ended up in the kitchen well past midnight and again the next morning trying to do it the right way. Live and learn, right?

7 comments:

Katie said...

I am the sister who said that this is one of my top three favorite desserts ever. I lied. It is one of my top TWO favorite desserts ever.

*~Petra~* said...

Yum! They look absolutely delish. Although, I would have eaten the first one! LOL. Cheesecake is divine.

Unknown said...

I totally want to try those. I will have to give you one of mine and Corey's favorites. It is soooo yummy!

Brandie said...

I make it all the time. Jeff LOVES it. I usually just leave it in the pan. Of course I only make it for us but yes refrigerate is a must!!

KJ said...

way to persevere...and outdo yourself. my cheesecake comes from my freezer, from a box that says Cheesecake factory that I buy at Costco. That's how intimidated cheesecake makes me.

Krista said...

Two whole cheesecakes and I didn't even get one piece!?! I would have settled for the crumbly mess. Lucky family!

Nanci and Steve said...

I'm impressed you kept at it. I would have turned to the Jello no-bake cheese cake at this point. They look delicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin