Monday, February 16, 2009

We had a fire today in our house

And you will NEVER guess who started it:
I felt like I deserved a three minute shower after running 3.5 miles. (was I wrong?) I made sure the trouble makers had crackers of all sorts, string cheese, apple juice and toys galore to keep them busy. A couple of minutes into my shower my eight year old, James came running into my bathroom yelling FIRE, FIRE, there is a fire! I grabbed my towel and went running into the kitchen to see my microwave full of flames. (I am not exaggerating, FULL of flames) They had decided to warm up a wrapped cookie in the microwave. There was SO much smoke, I could hardly see across the room. I spent the next HOUR scrubbing my microwave only to find out the microwave no longer works. Those two precious, tiny, cute, adorable little twins managed to destroy a microwave.
My house smells so bad I can hardly stand it. Any ideas of how to get rid of the smoke smell? It is so overwhelming, every candle and spray I own is not helping the least bit. Here is a photo of their little cookie creation that cost us $500.00. It started out all wrapped in a plastic packaging.
Notice there is another cookie on the stove waiting to be warmed

24 comments:

Kristi said...

how horrible...now every time I think I deserve a quick shower, I'm going to be thinking of what happened to you!
We rent out our basement, and it had a HORRIBLE smell to it...I tried a bunch of things--Fabreeze for fabrics, carpets, and air AND Glade carpet and room worked for me! I hope this helps

Katie said...

Troublemakers!!

Confession: I taught them this trick. I thought if I could get them to burn down the kitchen, you would finally send them to live with *ME*

Alyson P. said...

Find an equipment rental business and call to see if they rent ozone machines. We used one in a house we bought that had a smoker and it got rid of the smoke smell.

Alyson P. said...

oh yeah, you can also buy scented air filters to put in your vents.

Courtney Vance said...

Oh my gosh Jane, I don't even know what to say to that. I just want to buy you a new microwave. I always feel like my life is so boring and I never have anything to blog about. I think I'll stop complaining about that now.

Alison said...

In the March 2009 issue of Good Housekeeping, in the Ask Heloise section... there is this very question... so, I will quote...

"The key is time and air circulation... Setting out bowls of vinegar in the worst spots can help absorb the odor, but if the stink persists, you may need to rent an air purifier..."

I'm so sorry... But I will say... hooray for James in not taking any photos of you trying to save the house. I have a child that would have first run to the camera, and then to me. The towel draped, dripping wet mama photos would have made her day!!

R Clan said...

That scares me now to think how often I have taken a quick shower. I guess we all get to stink all day after this story. I am so sorry! We have an extra microwave downstairs if you want it until you get a new one. It is just a counter top one but you are more than welcome to borrow it. Of course you will want to make sure you unplug it during shower time.

Susan said...

Remember the good old days when we would get offended if people referred to your sweet babies as "DOULBE TROUBLE"?

Brooke said...

Jane...you should know better...moms never get showers while their children are awake.....

Krista said...

Oh My Goodness! I am going to have to keep Ty away from the "Baby Girlfriends." He is such a terror on his own, I can't imagine what they would do if the three of them were left alone together!

Lorie said...

Oh no!!! I am glad everyone is okay!

I think if you air out the house (once the broken microwave is gone) it should get better. Maybe leave some baking soda out in pans...

I think on the year of crockpotting site she actually had a recipe to put baking soda and water in your crockpot and leave it on...

You might want to check it out!

Lisa said...

Oh Jane, if you need me to hang with the kids next time you need a shower please call. I feel so bad that I was home all day, right next door and I had no idea what you were going through!
If you need anything let me know, and my microwave is always available. :)

Cindi said...

I am so sorry! I am glad that your house didn't burn down! At least it was just your microwave- I am so glad you are all alright! You know my little girl Allison is a bundle of mischief all by herself- I can't believe some of the stuff that she tries as soon as I have my back turned! Hope you can get the smell out soon! :)

Maryann said...

Oh no! I'm so glad that the microwave was all that was ruined! Gotta love life with toddlers...

Dawn said...

Perhaps if you handcuffed them to each other while you are showering, they'd get into less mischief. They would also learn to work together a lot better. Although I think this proves that they already know how to work together quite well, they just need to learn how to do good things together.

ahe said...

Our little fire wasn't nearly so expensive but it did require me to keep the windows open and the heat pumping for about a half a day. Have you already replaced the microwave? The smell won't go away until you get it out of the house. So sorry...That stinks but at least the damage was only monetary.

*~Petra~* said...

Jane, I am so sorry! Thank heavens everyone was safe.

Andrea said...

Oh man! I'm just glad it didn't destroy your cabinets too. I actually started our microwave on fire 2 weeks ago, by defrosting a bag of bread that still had the little (metal) twisty-tie on. Fortunately, I looked up before it got out of control! Only a little bit of smoke, and it still works.
So, really, I'm no better than your 2 year old twins!
LOL!

Simply Tickled Pink and Blue said...

It's worst fear, every time you get the shower (when the kids are awake) that something will happen and you will be in your loveliest state, stark naked, to attend to the mishap.

Good thing James is off track and was home. That was a blessing for everyone's sake.

So glad no one was injured! Sorry you are having to deal with a stinky house.

Julia said...

I'm so happy I'm not alone. Sorry you lost your microwave.

Amber said...

They are way too cute for such an awful mess! I am so sorry Jane!

Henich Family said...

Oh how sad...

I know there are special scent things you can let off in your house to cover up the smell. We did it for my aunts furniture that she had in an apartment fire. It's like a cherry bomb, I think.

Stacie Aho said...

That's so scary, and cute! I'm glad no one got hurt. It's amazing the damage a toddler can do in a matter of minutes!

Janae said...

This is so funny because we had the same thing happen, but with my four year old! These tech kids are too smart for even the microwave!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin